2.10.2007

Lazy Saturday Musings

It's a lazy Saturday, and although I have a ton to do before I leave for my annual pilgrimage home to New Orleans for the Krewe of Muses Mardi Gras Parade next week, I'm relishing doing nothing. (For a great article on the Muses, check out the latest issue of New Orleans Magazine--we made the cover!!!) It has been an insane few weeks at work and as big changes are afoot (which I'm not at liberty to discuss...yet), I've been overwhelmed trying to bring a few big projects to a close.

I was delighted to find a huge package of belated Christmas and birthday gifts on my doorstep yesterday, from my best friend in New Orleans (2 months late--a girl after my own heart!). Included was a wonderful book by her friend Angele Parlange entitled "Creole Thrift: Premium Southern Living Without Spending a Mint." (Click on photo of book or link to peruse and/or purchase). Angele is insanely creative and I have to give credit where it's due. The book inspired and reminded me of the lovely Southern charm and individuality that, to my own chagrin, I am starting to forget in my new "Yankee homeland," as Mother-Dear likes to call it.

This trip home is a well needed respite from my dreary snow-filled days and although Mum says it's "beyond freezing" at home, I look forward to 50 degree days and a touch of humidity. (It hasn't gotten above freezing here in over a week!) It's not a trip home if my hair doesn't frizz and you can't cut the air with a butter knife. I can't wait to return to the land of slowly creeping time, streetcars, crawfish etouffe', and sweetly scented camellias permeating the air.

Speaking of my favorite flower, a New Orleans tradition, the Camellia Grill is finally set to reopen after Hurricane Katrina. This throw-back diner is on the riverbend Uptown, corner of St. Charles and Carrolton. Think 50's linoleum countertops, spinning bar stools, and the best greasy grilled cheese sandwich you've ever had. Not to mention the world's thickest milkshakes, mixed by the hard-working men in their formal white uniforms. Grease splattered and ketchup stained or not, they look divine to me.

On the philanthropy front, the annual Sweetart New York gala is set to take place on March 2nd. This wonderful post-Katrina fundraiser benefits the New Orleans Contemporary Arts Center and multi-disciplinary artists from New Orleans & the Gulf Coast. If you're in New York, don't miss this New Orleans style fete with cocktails, hors d'oeuvres, music by Kermit Ruffins and the Barbeque Swingers, and a live auction.

I need to clean myself up and get on with the day, but it's oh-so-nice to just relax and relish my mini-break to come. I'll post when I can, but in true Southern style, I'll get to it when I get to it.
-
I hope this finds you all well--photos of Mardi Gras and home to come. Laissez les bonnes temps roule'!
-
Avec amour mes amis,
Leigh

2 comments:

v said...

Great post Leigh. Have a wonderful time at the Muses thing. And what's this about a new Yankee homeland? Did you move recently? Anyway, hope things are well.

Leigh said...

Thanks V. No, I didn't move. "The frozen North" is what my mother calls Kentucky! I guess it's all perspective!

xo, Leigh